Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bathroom Makeover

The other day I noticed that a tile was loose on our bathroom floor. I have to be honest, I don't like our bathroom decor. The tile is old and brown and although we replaced the sink, vanity and toilet, the tile and bath remain. So, when I saw that a tile was coming loose I may have helped it along......slightly. Imagine my delight when I discovered the original 1946 tile that was underneath!

So, I continued on and it started to look promising. Ignoring my intuition that it was crazy to do this, I imagined a pristine black and white tile floor with a retro feel. My newly renovated bathroom would be so cool! But, it wasn't long before I hit a snag....

When I came across the 1 inch gap that is between the edge of the wall and the floor I knew that I was in trouble.

A trip to Home Depot and a discussion with a very nice lady confirmed I have bitten off far more than I can chew. Levelling, a new base floor, grouting???? Why don't they just have stick on tiles?

So now half my floor is up and my options are fading. I bought two samples of plastic adhesive tiles which is far from my original vision. However, I have now decided to paint over the old wall tile and to paint the wall too. I have two weeks to complete this project so I will keep updating!










1 comment:

  1. What you really ned to do is remove the skirting, clean all the old adhesive off the tiles - there's a tin of stuff in your tool box for removing old glue - check it out. Then do the same to the old tiles and get new skirting which is deeper and this will cover the old adhesive marks on the wall tiles - I may need to plan another visit.

    ReplyDelete