Wednesday, January 18, 2012

square 1

You might remember a while ago I got a lovely bunch of fabric for a quilt I was planning to make for my bed. I've made some baby quilts before, simple ones without much piece work, but never anything of large size or real quilt making techniques.




So I have spent the last 2 months procrastinating about what I should do...then I realized that if I didn't make a decision soon winter was going to be over and I wouldn't even need a quilt. I settled on doing a log cabin style pattern using a 5 x 5 inch square of fabric as the center of each square.



Square 1


I made one square a few nights ago. Cutting the strips took FOREVER! I actually didn't cut up all my fabric because I got so bored of cutting strips that I just wanted to start on the square. The first square took a long time as I had to get the technique down. After unpicking a few seams I got the feel for it and finished it pretty quickly.




Square 2

Then last night I started on a second square. Only after I put the two squares side by side did I realize that I had done a different pattern with the fabrics!! That's what sewing late at night when your brain is fried will do! Actually I prefer the second pattern because I think it shows the beauty of the fabric patterns better so I think I will use the first one as a throw pillow and stick with the second style.


Side by side


This project is going to take a while but as it is my first big quilt project I will continue to post my project. Wish me luck!!


P.S. Apologies for the lighting in the photos - I sew in a cave (in my basement) and the light is really bad!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those fabrics are yummy!! I love every single pattern you chose! I can't wait to see how the quilt turns out! I so wish I would take the time to learn how to quilt!

    Thank you SO much for linking up to my party!! I'm going to follow you on my way out. I'm always looking for sewing blogs to follow. This is the year I learn!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great combo of fabrics! I love the grey and yellow together. I think you should use a mix the block styles - a little bit of variety! Can't wait to see the finished product. BTW - I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Bronwyn. I laid out the three squares on my backing and boy can I tell you this is a daunting project! Hopefully I will have something to show you soon but this will take commitment!

      Delete