Saturday, March 24, 2012

Wallpaper Tips

Warning - this is a long but informative post!

Okay, so I began my very daunting project of wallpapering one wall of my son's room today and I have some tips already. Let me start by saying that both my parents and husband said I should just not do it. It's too hard, messy and prone to problems. But the thought of this awesome paper on one wall of his room was too much to resist. So, caution to the wind, I set about the project!

I measured the wall and ordered two rolls of paper. I have already discovered that I will need to order another. A couple of things happened. First, I unrolled the paper - just to look - and it tore about 6ft in (tears). Second I didn't think about matching the pattern and the amount of wastage that occurs by having to do this. So TIP #1 - Get more paper than you think you need. 

Wallpaper patterns repeat at various intervals. It is not something that I saw on the website or even considered but mine repeats about every 1.5 feet. That means that in order to match it up sometimes I lose almost a foot in excess. Darn. So if you are buying paper check that part and then order enough. Actually, rule of thumb is buy one more role than you even think you might need. I now have to order another role and pay the shipping so it is costing me more :(

Okay, so once you have purchased the paper you need to stick it up on the wall. All wallpapers are different and the instructions for how to adhere it are written on the role (at least mine were). Some papers have the adhesive already on the paper and you just have to imerse the paper in water (messy if you ask me) and some are the type you can paste the wall and then stick the paper on the pastey wall. And the third is the old fashioned kind where you paste the paper and then stick it up. TIP #2 Wait until you get the paper in hand before you buy any supplies. 

Did you know that Home Depot has not carried wallpaper paste and supplies for 2 years? You can get it online but I found what I needed in person at an ACE Hardware.


No comments:

Post a Comment